Asbjørn Ness / 28. desember 2005
Tired of the blinking advertisement in your MSN Messenger? Or maybe you want to get rid of buttons you never use anyway.
Denne siden kan innholde utdatert informasjon.
A Mess with MSN Messenger patch, Koen & TheBlasphemer is the solution you should be looking at. Mess patch is a program that gives you a lot of choices about MSN Messenger that the program's own settings don't. If you just want to get rid of the advertisement, Mess patch lets you do that. If you want to strip MSN Messenger down to become as minimalized as a simple Trillian or ICQ skin, Mess patch lets you do that as well.
If you want to try Mess patch, you should first of all download the latest version of MSN Messenger, which you can get at here at MSN.com. The installation method you choose is entirely up to you, and no, you don't have to uninstall your older version of MSN Messenger. If you do have Windows Messenger, and want to uninstall it, go here and follow the instructions. Note that this is not necessary as well.
The second file you need, is the Mess patch installation file, go to Mess.be, click the Mess Patch link you see under Important Announcemess.be at the left side of the site. (No hotlinking is possible, sorry). Scroll down on the site that you was being redirected to, and you will find a Download File link you a few lines under the Preview screenshot. Click it and download the .zip file that is given to you. Unzip and run the .exe file that was inside the archieve. Note that the version number should be the same as you get when you go to Help>About MSN Messenger in MSN Messenger.
Now you will be given a lot of choices. Many of them are easy to understand, but some could be more tricky. I will here give you a few guidelines of things that you should be aware of when you go through the installtion of the patch.
First of all, you want to: Patch MSN Messenger. Press Next. Mark for Create Backups and Perform CRC Check if not already done. Then focus on General Options:
- Enable Polygamy: If you want to have the choice of running more than one MSN Messenger at the time, maybe both you and your girlfriend/boyfriend needs to be online at the same time, but you only have one computer.
- Remove Billing Information Menus: Check.
- Remove File Transfer Blocked Extensions: Remove the message warning you against (e.g.) .exe files.
Next is the Main Window Options:
- Remove MSN Logo: Check if you want to remove the Logo above your Display picture.
- Remove Messenger Title: Check if you want to remove the title on side of the MSN Logo.
- Remove Bottom Links In Sign-In Window: Check if you want a clean Login screen for MSN Messenger.
- Remove Microsoft Passport Network Branding: Remove if you want an even cleaner Login screen.
- Switch Tabs To Right Side: Unfortunately you can't remove them. But moving them to the right side is actually making the window better looking if you have the program located near the right edge of your screen.
- Open Display Picture Dialog Upon DP Click: Directs you to the choose Display Picture window, so that you don't have to choose it from a menu.
- Remove E-Mail Button: Check if you never use your Hotmail-account anyway.
- Remove My MSN Space Button: Check if you never use MSN Space.
- Remove MSN Today Button: Check to clean your screen.
- Position Add Contact Bar At The Bottom Of The Contact List: Where it can easily be found, but never makes you angry because it messes up the screen.
- Remove Yellow Infobar: Check to remove irritating info.
- Remove Gleams: The small gleams or yellow flowers in front of those who has MSN Space can also be remove by checking here.
- Remove MSN Search Bar: If you never use MSN Search, but are the Google type or you like Yahoo or something. Check this to remove the searching bar at from the bottom of the window.
- Remove Advertisement Banner: Finally, check this if you want to remove the blinking advertisement that takes up so much space at the bottom of the window.
Conversation Window Options:
- Remove MSN Logo: Same as the one above, but only in the conversation window.
- Strip Top Toolbar Text: Remove the text from the buttons.
- Remove Webcam Icon: Why have this if you don't have a webcam?. Check if needed.
- Remove Get A Webcam Link: Advertisement has to go.
- Remove Premium Services: More advertisement, check.
- Remove Bottom Text Advertisement: Under the User is writing you will find a line of text advertisement, this is your chance to remove it.
- Strip Foramatting Toolbar Text: The toolbar is the buttons where you choose smileys and font type.
- Remove Send Button: Check if you never use anything other than Enter to send your messages.
- Remove Search Button: Another way to make us use MSN Search instead of Google or Yahoo.
Hope this was helpfull, although I did not a description for each one of the options. This because some already had a good enough one, and to some because I the meaning behind it was the same in both the Main and Conversation Window or not important to fix at all (seen through my eyes).